The Energy and Resources Group (ERG) and the Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management (ESPM) at the University of California, Berkeley, seek applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor faculty position in the area of Sustainability and Equity. The expected start date is July 1, 2020. The appointment will be split 50% in ERG and 50% in ESPM.
Social equity is foundational to solving critical environmental problems facing humanity at local, national and international scales; such challenges include climate change, food security and sovereignty, natural resource access, biodiversity loss, energy resources and production, water access and quality, land use and scarcity, and human health. We seek applications from scholars who foreground issues of equity in their environmental research and whose work pays attention to issues of power, access, voice and justice in shaping local, national, and/or international policies.
Basic Qualifications: Applicants for this position must hold a Ph.D. or J.D. (or equivalent international degree) or be enrolled in a Ph.D. or J.D. (or equivalent international degree- granting program) at the time of application.
Preferred qualifications: The ideal candidate will:
- have a record of research that crosses disciplinary boundaries in the environmental and social sciences, with the potential to develop an internationally-recognized research program that includes collaboration with colleagues in the natural and/or biophysical sciences.
- be a capacious scholar whose research will bring new insights to the intertwined nature of sustainability and equity, and who will advance interdisciplinary conversations that define both ERG and ESPM.
- be working in fields including but not limited to: environmental studies, political economy, history, law, anthropology, sociology, geography, political science, behavioral sciences, public health, city planning or the intersection of two or more relevant fields
- demonstrate evidence of strong research productivity, potential for funding, and a commitment to excellence in teaching and mentoring of undergraduates, graduate students, and post-docs.
- demonstrate evidence of their commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in ways that align with UC Berkeley’s mission to meet the educational needs of California’s diverse population (see: https://ofew.berkeley.edu/recruitment/contributions-diversity/support- faculty-candidates).
To apply for consideration, please go to the following link: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF02382. The deadline for applications is December 2, 2019. Please direct questions to Megan Amaral, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ERG and ESPM are committed to addressing the family needs of faculty, including dual career couples and single parents. We encourage candidates who have had non-traditional career paths, or who have taken time off for family reasons, to apply for this position. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.